Key Home Maintenance Tasks to Remember: Change Air Filters, Check Smoke Detectors, Clean Gutters, and More
There are many home maintenance tasks that should be performed on a regular basis to keep your home in good condition and functioning properly.
Some of the key tasks to remember include:
1. Changing the air filters: The air filters in your home's heating and cooling system should be changed every 1-3 months to keep the system running efficiently and help improve indoor air quality.
2. Checking smoke and carbon monoxide detectors: It's important to regularly test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are working properly and replace the batteries as needed.
3. Cleaning gutters: Gutters should be cleaned at least twice a year, in the fall and spring, to remove debris and prevent clogs.
4. Checking the roof: The roof should be inspected at least once a year for signs of damage, such as missing shingles or leaks. Any necessary repairs should be made promptly to prevent further damage.
5. Testing and cleaning sump pumps: If your home has a sump pump, it should be tested regularly to ensure it is functioning properly and cleaned as needed to prevent clogs.
6. Flushing water heaters: Water heaters should be flushed every year to remove sediment and ensure that they are working efficiently.
7. Testing and replacing batteries in emergency lighting: Emergency lighting, such as flashlights and exit signs, should be tested regularly and the batteries replaced as needed.
8. Inspecting and cleaning appliances: Regularly inspecting and cleaning your home's appliances, such as the fridge, oven, and washing machine, can help extend their lifespan and ensure they are functioning properly. Don't just clean the outside, clean out lint traps, and clean around the sides and behind appliances.
Remembering to perform these and other home maintenance tasks on a regular basis can help prevent problems and keep your home in good condition.
Disclaimer: This blog was written by chatGPT. Pretty cool right? Most of these tasks have instructional videos on youtube; however, if you ever feel unsafe or unsure how to property perform a maintenance item, please call a pro!
Create a free account on folderr.com, or download the app on Google Play or the Apple App Store, and setup automated reminders for all of your home maintenance tasks.